VIRTUAL PRESENTATIONS ARE AVAILABLE.
A frequent speaker on end-of-life decision making and spirituality in the healthcare setting, Hank Dunn, MDiv, offers practical advice to audiences nationwide based on his 30+ years of experience as a healthcare chaplain.
Hank uses storytelling in engaging presentations for both communities and professionals. All presentations can be adapted to explore what has and has not changed during the COVID-19 pandemic and can be conducted virtually via Zoom, Facebook Live, and other platforms.
Presentations can vary from a half hour in-service to an all-day conference that combines several topics. Typical presentations run three hours and combine practical medical treatment decisions with emotional and spiritual issues at the end of life.
1. “Hard Choices for Loving People”
This is a basic lecture for the general public. End-of-life choices concerning CPR, artificial feeding tubes, hospitalization, palliative care, and hospice are covered. COVID-19’s impact on end-of-life decision making is also considered. The talk concludes with an introduction to emotional and spiritual issues surrounding end-of-life decision making.
2. “Helping Patients and Families with End-of-Life Decisions”
Frequently requested for professional groups such as healthcare professionals, clergy, mental health counselors, attorneys, and financial planners, this presentation discusses medical, emotional, and spiritual issues for seriously ill patients. Practical suggestions for professionals are given to help address these issues with clients.
3. “The Journey to Letting Be: The Emotional and Spiritual Issues at the End of Life”
This presentation explores in-depth the life tasks addressing emotional and spiritual issues at the end of life, including:
- Seeking forgiveness and reconciliation
- Gaining a sense that what is happening is okay: Letting Be
- Gaining a sense of being part of a greater whole
- Coming to terms with the denial of death
- Letting go of the ego/self
- Coming to terms with the “loss of control”
4. “A Journey to the Illusion of the Self”
In this presentation, Hank discusses the “illusion of the self,” its function in our lives, and the challenges it presents at the end of life. Hank draws on 30 years of working with dying patients, teachings from major religious traditions, literature, and poetry to create a presentation on spirituality for people of all beliefs.